Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gulliver's Travels 3-D



GULLIVER’S TRAVELS  

Starring Jack Black as Lemuel Gulliver
Directed by Rob Letterman
Written by Joe Stillman (screenplay and Nicholas Stoller) 
Reviewed by Char Hardin 
 

 
 

Friday night is movie night. I go every weekend I am able. Up for grabs this past weekend was Jeff Bridges in either True Grit (John Wayne remake), Tron: The Legacy or Jack Black in Gulliver’s Travels. This particular night, my seventeen year old daughter chose to go along, so there was no choice…we saw Jack Black.


First thing I learned when I started reviewing books and movies … THE CRITICS don’t know everything. I had read some reviews on IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data base) and wasn’t surprised to see a low rating and a few rants from fans. After an hour and 25 minutes now…it’s my turn.


I liked it! I wouldn’t say I loved it, but it was funny. Funny if you like crude humor and watching a short 42 year old man dance around like a oversized kid playing Guitar Hero on the clock in a dead end job, falling in love with a travel writer editor and lying his way into a chance of a lifetime writing gig to end up later pissing on royalty to put out a fire. Did I say crude humor? Yes, as with all of Jack Black’s films, there was crude humor.


Attendance was small, but size doesn’t matter, when you are having fun. Yeah, I just said that size doesn’t matter, that pertains to movie watching only…size does matter elsewhere. My daughter and I laughed our asses off and if no one else was laughing, so we laughed louder. The sad thing with Jack Black is once you have seen one of his movies, then you have seen all he has to offer. I could have waited for DVD, but wanted to see him in 3-D, unfortunately, our theater didn’t carry the 3-D version.


The special effects weren’t awesome, but the ocean ride was a doozy. No spoilers here. Personally, I enjoyed the comedy and the last scene with him singing the sixties anthem, War was fun and my favorite scene.


Would I recommend it, sure, but I would save your movie theater money and wait for Gulliver’s Travels to come out on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment